Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Enneagram Tritype: A Self-Typing Story, Part 6


How had I figured out which wing was more prominent on my core 9 fix?

First, I'd read plenty of descriptions and found that every time, it was the 9w1 that sounded definitely more like me than the 9w8.  Then I had double-checked by thinking hard about it and realizing that yes, indeed, my attitudes and behavior over my whole lifetime had shown more influence from Type 1 than from Type 8.

So, then -- how should I figure out which wings I had on my 4-fix and 5-fix?

I should start by reading descriptions of those types and how they differ when influenced by one wing or the other!

Excitedly, I took out my mother's Wisdom of the Enneagram book again and opened to the chapter on Type 4.  I found that Type 4 with a 3-wing, in that book, is called "the Aristocrat," and Type 4 with a 5-wing is called "the Bohemian."  A quick reading of the descriptions of these two subtypes brought on a thrill of amazement.  No way.  You're telling me that even THIS can be explained by the Enneagram system?!?!  I all but shouted aloud in delight.

As a child, I was accustomed to playing with other girls who wanted to make believe that they were princesses and such.  I could never relate with that.  I was always more attracted to the idea of a poor and simple lifestyle, and in medieval dress-up games, while other girls wanted to be fine ladies in lovely gowns, I hankered instead after the rough dress of a peasant maid.  The idea of trying to be fashionable, of showing off for others by insisting on having the "best" clothing and home décor, made me feel sick to my stomach.  I cannot even express how much I preferred the simple authenticity of just buying or making whatever I liked, irrespective of whatever the "trend" happened to be at the time.  I always prided myself on being logical and honest, even if -- or perhaps especially when -- the result of sticking to my convictions was that I appeared weird or eccentric to others.  As long as I felt certain my eccentricity would be seen as harmless, I actually got enjoyment out of receiving strange looks from others.  I dreamed of someday having a yard full of unkempt dandelions and moss and simply flashing a disarming smile at all those folks who would mentally be saying "tsk, tsk!" over the fact that I didn't have a neat lawn like everyone else.

Now, here I was finding out that all these characteristics of mine -- which to me had seemed so very unique -- were precisely the characteristic qualities of Type 4w5, "the Bohemian"!  Would I never come to the end of the Enneagram system's abilities to categorize and explain human nature???

To be continued...

1 comment: