Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Myers-Briggs vs. Enneagram: A Self-Typing Story, Part 3

There is a couple named David W. Fauvre and Katherine Chernick Fauvre who've spent the last few decades doing research and developing their understanding of what they call the Enneagram TritypeTM.  In the Enneagram system (independent of the Fauvres), the 9 types are divided into groups of three in various ways.  One very important way they are divided is into the three centers, which go by different names.  Types 2, 3, and 4 are located in the feeling, heart or image center.  Types 5, 6, and 7 are in the head or thinking center, and Types 8, 9, and 1 in the body, gut or instinctual center.  Someone with a core Enneatype of 2, 3, or 4 will be very much concerned with their image/how they are viewed by others; comparison of self with others, pride, false representation, and self-consciousness, all based on deep-seated problems with shame, are some of the large issues that may be experienced here.  A core 5, 6, or 7 revolves more of their attention around mental activity/figuring out how or what they think about stuff; whether they realize it or not, these types have deep-seated issues with fear.  Types 8, 9, and 1 don't dwell as much as other types in either their emotional hearts or logical heads; they instead tend to be guided more by instincts or gut-level feelings.  These three types have deep issues with rage.

The Fauvres' contribution was to point out that although yes, most people may tend to be stronger in one of these centers than in the other two, nevertheless, it's part and parcel of being human to approach life through all three of these centers!  Just as everyone has a head, a heart and a gut, so everyone has their own special head-level, heart-level and gut-level ways of responding to and dealing with life.  Our individual tritype is formed when we select our specific way of approaching the world through each of these centers, and place these, our three main styles of interacting with the world, into a hierarchy of how important and integral they are to us.

This idea means that, far from there being just 9 Enneatypes to choose from, there are instead 27 Archetypes (combinations of any three Enneatypes, one from each of the three centers, in various configurations: e.g., the "125" Archetype can appear in any of 6 tritypes, namely the 125, 152, 215, 251, 512 or 521), and thus, there are ONE HUNDRED SIXTY-TWO specific Enneagram tritypes in all!  And this doesn't even take into account the wings on each fix (your Enneagram type in each center is called a "fix") or the strength of the lines of connection each of your fixes has to other types on the Enneagram!  In other words, with tritype theory, the ability of the Myers-Briggs system to categorize you more specifically is entirely eclipsed, and one can start to see that so much of the wonderful individuality in our personalities can be systematically explained using this amazing concept!!!

As I read through a thread on PersonalityCafe.com wherein the Archetypes (and tritypes) were being described, I felt my excitement mounting.  I love this stuff!  Eeek!  I can't stand it, this is SO cool and fun!!  I was almost ready to burst with the thrill of discovery.

Naturally, as I read, I kept an eye out for which of the tritypes I was reading about might belong to my family members, friends, or me.  I felt sure I had recognized several friends plus my mother by the time I got all the way through to the end, but I hadn't recognized myself with certainty in any of the tritype descriptions. 

No matter, I thought.  I've only just encountered this concept.  There's no hurry!  I have plenty of time for figuring out what my tritype is.  I want to savor this process -- as well as make absolutely sure and certain a conclusion is correct before I officially come to it.

Little did I know how soon and suddenly I was to figure out what my tritype was!

To be continued...

'TritypeTM' is a trademark of Enneagram Explorations and can only be used with permission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment